Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Morning After


What do you eat for the meal AFTER you think you had your last? The way the media and government officials carried on about Hurricane Irene, I assumed Saturday night's fried egg, cheese, and bacon on puff pastry might be my "last meal." This morning, the dozen eggs I laid in in case of power outages (we cook with gas) looked inviting, so I found a baked asparagus omelet recipe in Judith & Evan Jones's THE L.L. BEAN BOOK OF NEW NEW ENGLAND COOKERY (yes, that's two "new"s--they bring "a light contemporary touch to the great traditions of New England cookery"). If I live until spring, through the upcoming "severe" weather that is no doubt to come, I'll try it again with local asparagus. Lovely, whether the spears come from near or far.

No comments:

Post a Comment