Saturday, November 24, 2012

Life of Pi(e)

This was the year my dear, departed mother-in-law Marion saved Thanksgiving. What is the iconic meal without homemade pie? I'd picked out a new recipe for pear-cranberry pie with an oatmeal-streusel topping. Shaking my head sadly at the instruction to use a storebought pie crust, I made the "never-fail" pastry from THE TASTE OF HOME COOKBOOK. Pulling it out of the fridge after its thirty minutes of chilling, I rolled it out energetically. The rolling went fine; flipping it into the pie plate did not. With a single word unprintable here, I gathered it up to try again. Chuck said, "Stand aside. I'm going to channel my mother." He took the rolling pin and began to move it back and forth. I said, "No, no...that'll make the pastry stick." Undaunted, he kept at it with the gentlest of pressure. Marion's spirit did the trick. And the best part of Thanksgiving was preserved...pie for breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment