Saturday, December 15, 2012

What Is It About Chicken Pot Pie?

I am absolutely obsessed with mini chicken pot pies. I could eat one every night of my life. Tonight's was delicious: cobbled together from an on-line recipe that had a puff pastry topping which I replaced with the shortcut pastry from SIMPLE FRENCH COOKING. It called for basil, salt, and pepper which I enhanced with celery salt. It must be the Chicago in me, but that celery salt made it! A mini pie is like doll food: a tiny, perfect approximation of the adult version. Eating out of this little foil pan, I feel like myself at six, sitting cross-legged in Weston, CT, with Susie Rogers, pretending that we're at a dinner party, eating out of old bowls Mom didn't mind if we broke. During this mid-life crisis of my career crashing down around me, at least there's something that gives total satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment