Tuesday, August 28, 2012

One Singular Frenchman

Robert Treboux, owner of Le Veau d’Or, died last week. I didn’t know him at his best. He was elderly, but not that frail, when Dad and I started going there for Saturday lunch a few years ago. He and Dad liked to reminisce about the Manhattan of 50-60 years ago when Robert was a captain at Le Pavillon and Maude Chez Elle. He was very modest about his career—I didn’t realize he’d owned Le Clos Normand and La Rotisserie Française before Le Veau d’Or. He got frailer over these last couple of years, but he never failed to greet me at the door with a kiss and a sweeping bow as I joined Dad or Nina Miness at our table. And he had a few salty words on a lot of subjects...he threw the word "shit" around with panache. A highlight of my last couple of years was the James Beard Awards at Lincoln Center where Le Veau d’Or, Robert, and Catherine won an American Classic Award. I was two rows from the stage: up there, I saw Jacques Pépin, Gabrielle Hamilton, José Andres, and Kevin Zraly, the founder of the Windows on the World wine appreciation program whose acceptance speech was incredibly touching in remembrance of all the friends who died on 9/11.
And now we raise a glass to Robert. Here he is at Dad’s 81st birthday celebration. What an honor to have known him.

No comments:

Post a Comment