Thursday, August 16, 2012

What’s for Dinner?

To my mom, the question “What’s for dinner?” could only have caused a sinking feeling. Four picky kids, an irritable husband, a tight food budget…that’s a recipe for disaster. Imagine that, 365 days a year, on and on until…well, either you die or you’re alone and can eat cold beans out of the can (which Mom was not averse to). Having come late to the dinner party, I still have a sense of anticipation when I start to ask myself “What’s for dinner” sometime during the day. Yesterday, being Julia Child’s 100th birthday, I pulled down MASTERING THE ART OF FRENCH COOKING to find something I could make in a couple of hours on a hot summer night. Voila! Pommes de Terres a l’Huile with her suggestion of grilled sausages fit the bill.
The potatoes were tasty: medium-starch Yukon Golds steeped in vermouth and chicken broth before they were dressed with a vinaigrette of white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, olive oil, and shallots. I put dried thyme on them for a little extra flavor and because I forgot to get fresh parsley which would’ve been prettier. Her instructions were to drop the potatoes into boiling salted water. The authors of THE SCIENCE OF GOOD FOOD, an award-winning reference on how cooking works, contradict Julia (Mon Dieu!) by saying they should be started in cold water and perhaps make the water more acidic by adding vinegar, but do not salt the water to avoid the potatoes getting mushy. Calls to mind the Gershwin classic, “You say potato and I say po-tah-to,” ultimately a love song which we all sang to Julia yesterday and will continue to sing through the years until she’s a thousand. And to Mom, I can only repeat Martin Luther King's passionate recital of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, [I am] free at last!"

No comments:

Post a Comment